ToBeLikeHim.com††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Return to main page
Are you seeking God?
There is a wonderful truth. God has a plan for each of us.
Look At What God Said In The Old Testament Book Of Jeremiah:
(Jeremiah Chapter 29: verses 11-12)
ďFor I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "
plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.Ē
Godís plan for us depends on our response to him.
Letís look at a few facts:
1 Ė As human beings, how do we relate to God?
- We are His creation
Genesis 1: 26-28
Then God said, ĎLet us make man in our image, in
our likeness, and let them rule over
2 - What is our condition before God?
We know the story of Adam and Eve and how
through their actions, all of humanity fell from Godís grace.
∑ The truth is, we (mankind) are a fallen race. All of us are.
Romans 3:23 tells us
ďFor all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.Ē
Sadly, sin creates a spiritual division that
separates us from God.
∑ The more sin there is in our lives, the greater the divide between us and God.
∑ Our sins alienate us from God.
(Isaiah 59:2 NIV)
But your sinful acts have alienated you from your God; your sins have caused him to reject you and not listen to your prayers.
∑ The result of our sins is Spiritual Death. That is the death of any relationship between us and God.
(Romans 6:23 NIV)
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
3 - What is Godís desire for us?
∑ Godís desire is to make a way across the divide between us and Him, so that we can fellowship with him.
But God demonstrates his own love for us, in
that while we were
∑ Do you remember the passage from Jeremiah (at the top of this page)?
Godís desire for us is for good things.
(Jeremiah 29:11-12 NIV)
ďFor I know the plans
I have for you," declares the LORD,
4. How can we move across (bridge) the gap that separates us from God?
∑ Canít we earn our way into heaven by doing good things (good works)?
No - There simply isnít any good thing we can do (or any number of good things) that will be enough to bridge the gap between us (and our condition of sin) and the holiness of God.
For by grace you are saved through faith, and
this is not of yourselves,
∑ Canít we just go to Church each week? That would make us righteous, wouldnít it?
No Ė Church is not enough. It is not the answer. Jesus never said, go to church and you will be saved.
Jesus never told anyone that their righteousness would save them.
In fact, what did Jesus say?
"For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.Ē
∑ Surely If I am a Moral Person? Canít I rely on my ethics? What about the goodness of all mankind?
There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.
4 Ė So if there is this great divide between us and God, and there is no way for us to bridge the gap, what did God do to provide a way for us to approach Him?
- He sent his Son to us:
(John 1: 1-4 and John 1:14 NIV)
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God.
The Word became flesh and made his
dwelling among us.
- Why did God send his son (Jesus) to us?
To offer him to us as a way for us to have everlasting, eternal life.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only
5 Ė How can we address our condition of sin before God?
- We can accept the offer of Jesus
For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- There is only one way to bridge the gap that separates us from God.
That way is Jesus Christ.
- Look at what Jesus said (John 14:6):
( John 14:6 NIV)
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life;
6 Ė If we seek salvation through Christ Jesus, what happens to our sin?
- In his act of forgiveness, God will forget our sins.
ďFor I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."
7 - How do you ask Christ Jesus to intercede for you before his Father?†
- If you truly believe the message of salvation from sin that God has given to us and want to accept Godís offer of salvation right now, itís a matter of repenting from your sins and turning the rest of your life over to Jesus by making him Lord of your life.
- There is no ritualistic prayer that accomplishes this. There are no magic words or prayers that accomplish your desire to come to the Father through the son.
- It is a willful decision on your part to confess your sin and move away from it.
- It is a step of faith toward Christ that brings on salvation.
Look at what Paul says in the book of Romans:
If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED." For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."
There are many prayers of salvation. An example of a sinnerís prayer follows.
∑ It acknowledges sin in your life.
∑ It seeks repentance Ė turning away from sin.
∑ It seeks Jesus as Lord of your life.
∑ It thanks God for the gift of eternal life.
If you are seeking God, finding the words to pray may be difficult for you. In the beginning of any relationship, words can be difficult. However, if your heart aches to come to God and the words of your prayer fail you, you can read the following prayer out loud and make it your own.
God will understand. He knows you better than you know yourself.
A Sinnerís Prayer for Salvation
Holy Father, I know that I am a sinner. I know that my sin keeps me separated from you.
I know that your son died for my sin. I know that you raised him from the dead and gave him the power to forgive my sins. I know that Jesus is anxious to do this.
I want to be free of this sin. I want to move away from a life of sin and to have Christ become the Lord of my life.
Lord Jesus, I ask you to forgive my sins. Please claim me as one of your own.
Father, I pray that you will send your Holy Spirit to help me to become a new person, one that will be pleasing to you.
Thank you for this gift of eternal life.
If you just prayed this prayer, we praise God for your decision!
Godís Holy Scripture tells us that you are now a new creature.
The old creature that was you is now gone and you have the rest of eternity to be with God, through his son, Christ Jesus.
Look at what Paul wrote to his disciple Titus
(Titus 3: 4-7 NIV)
But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy.† He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,† whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
Now that you have prayed the sinnerís prayer, What should you do?
1. Find a group of ďborn againĒ fellow believers and become a part of that group.
- Where can you find such a group?
- They are in a church close to you.
2. What kind of church should you join?
- Join a church that believes Godís Son is the only way to salvation.
- Join a church that believes the Bible is Godís Holy Word.
3. Tell the pastor of the church you find that you have just accepted Christ as your savior.
Ask for Baptism.
4. Ask for help from the pastor so that you can grow in your knowledge of Jesus and his father.
Remember, you are a baby (reborn) Christian.
†- Growing in knowledge of Jesus is one of the first things a new disciple of Christ needs to do.
- Get a Bible and begin reading it every day.
- Begin with the Gospel of John in the New Testament. Read Johnís Gospel carefully. The intent is to understand what John was telling us about Jesus in his Gospel.
- Start reading Psalms in the Old Testament.
- After you finish the Gospel of John, find and begin a program to read the Bible through.
All of it?
Yes - All of it. The Old Testament is the history of God's Chosen and the record of his original Covenant with the Jews. The New Testament is the Gospel Story of Christ Jesus and the New Covenant between God and Humanity.
There are many good guides that suggest what you should read each day. There are several of these guides listed on this website or as a part of the links section of ToBeLikeHim.com and many others available in other places for you to follow. What is important is that you begin studying God's Holy Word and that you make it a part of your new life.
5. As quickly as possible, become active in your church.
6. As quickly as possible, begin pursuing Christ Jesus as a disciple.
- You need to be surrounded by a fellowship of people who want to honor the Great Commission of Jesus Christ by making disciples.
- Find a person who knows Jesus very well and ask that person to disciple you.
- Your new Pastor probably knows someone who would be happy to help you grow.
- If your Pastor does not know anyone who will help you, you may be in the wrong church.
God Bless You Today, And For Eternity
If you would like to share your decision with us, we would be happy to hear your good news and to pray for you.
Copyright © 2005, 2015 by ToBeLikeHim.com